The zucchini is ON right now! If you planted this popular veggie in your garden, chances are you have more than enough to make this easy and refreshing salsa. And if you didn’t plant a garden, chances are you can pick some up at a local farmer’s market or even from a neighbor who has more than enough to share! This recipe was shared with me from a friend who cans this salsa each year, and her family enjoys it all year long! Loaded with veggies, it’s a tasty way to enjoy that summer-fresh taste year-round!
And if you’ve never canned before, this is the perfect recipe to start on! It’s seriously so easy. Most people I know who can are happy to share their canning knowledge, so don’t be afraid to ask and learn how to do it!
- 10 cups tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (I put them in the blender with the skins on…so much easier! Just do a small batch of tomatoes in the blender at a time so you can control how chunky you want your salsa–you don’t want to totally liquify them!)
- 8 cups grated zucchini
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 4 yellow banana peppers, chopped
- 3 jalapenos chopped
(I chop all my peppers and onions in a food processor, it’s faster than by hand! Just be careful not to overdo it! I like my salsa a little chunky!)
- 5 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 4 dashes Tabasco hot sauce
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 (6oz) cans tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- mix all ingredients in a large stock pot
- bring to slow boil, stirring occasionally
- simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- fill sterile canning jars and place on sterilized lids
- Salsa can be processed in hot water bath for 30 minutes or in a pressure canner for 5 minutes.
- Recipe will make about 12 pints or 6 quarts
Besides chips and salsa, use this veggie loaded salsa as a topping on eggs or in your tacos/fajitas! You can even make a double batch and give some away as neighbor gifts at Christmas time–it’s a huge hit!