Whether your victory is large or small, we all need to celebrate and treat ourselves sometimes. While buying a new outfit to fit your slimmer frame or an occasional cheat meal has its place, if you struggle with emotional eating or emotional shopping–then finding a healthy alternative to rewarding yourself is the way to go!
First, I want to share this thought about emotional eating:
Being healthy and exercising should be something you look forward to, not a punishment for overeating. And it’s too easy to fall back into bad habits, so don’t use food as a reward for exercise…otherwise you’ll end up like a hamster on a wheel: going round and round and never getting anywhere.
Okay, now on to the list!
Reward Yourself Without Buying or Eating Anything!
- Take a Nap/Sleep In
- Take a bubble bath
- Pamper yourself at home: give yourself a manicure/pedicure, use the lotion you hardly ever get around to putting on, search pinterest for a DIY facemask recipe to try
- Put your feet up and read a book/magazine or head to the library and discover something new there!
- Look at all those articles, tutorials and videos you saved to “look at later”, but never have.
- Shout it from the rooftops! Post about your success on social media and enjoy your friends celebrating with you.
- Have your spouse/significant other give you a back/hand/foot massage
- Get a day to yourself: use it to work on something you really want like scrapbooking, photography, sewing, that project around the house you’ve really wanted to get to, or whatever your hobby is!
- Binge watch something on Netflix or watch your favorite movies
- Go for a drive: this might cost you some gas money, but there’s just something relaxing and rejuvenating about driving around listening to your favorite music.
- Go window shopping: leave your purse at home (or least locked in the car) and just look. It’s okay to dream up ideas.
Your turn! What are your favorite ways to treat yourself without buying or eating anything?