We would never tell someone else “You’re not good enough.” or “Why bother trying, you’re just going to fail” but we say these kinds of negative things to ourselves all the time. Sometimes the hardest person to love is yourself. Why is that? So many outside forces demand our attention and often times we end up giving everything we’ve got to someone else and leaving little for ourselves. Taking time for yourself is not selfish. In fact, it should be a priority in your life! I recently read an article that had great tips for learning to how to change your mindset and develop a healthy, loving relationship with yourself.
First of all, remember this: “Learning to love yourself starts with making a conscious decision, an intention to become happy and lead a fulfilled life. When you do not love yourself and suffer from low self esteem, it is almost impossible to ever reach the potential that you suspect you have. ”
- Get ride of negative self talk. Tell that little voice in your mind to BE QUIET whenever you think something negative about yourself. Instead, tell yourself, “I’m doing my best.”
- Praise Yourself Daily. Turn negative talk around using “because statements” For example, I had a friend who was really nervous about a presentation she had to do at work. Her negative talk told her she wasn’t smart enough to pull it off. I told her she was! So we turned it around into a positive affirmation “Because I am smart, I can do a successful presentation!”
- Trust Yourself. Know that you have the ability to make important decisions for yourself, for as long as you put your heart to it. You can also support yourself by visualizing desired outcomes.
- Forgive Yourself. We’ve all made mistakes…big and small. Don’t let old mistakes keep you from living a fulfilling future.
- Be Honest with yourself. If you are happy, celebrate it! If you are sad, acknowledge it. Don’t try to bury feelings or lie to yourself.
- Relax and Have Fun! Take time to Meditate, or go for a walk and appreciate the silence and beauty of nature. This can help you clear your thoughts and focus on what’s important. Do something FUN that YOU want to do–not what your kids or someone else wants to do. Sometimes what I want to do IS to play in the sprinklers with my kids, but maybe another time it’s to have a lunch date with my girlfriends. Don’t feel guilty if your spouse/kids aren’t always involved.
- Look after your body- It has been found that the lack of self love is often the root causes of conditions like eating disorders, obesity or even terminal diseases. We only get one body in this life, treat it kindly. When we love ourselves on the inside, we start to treat the outside better.
- Go After Your Dreams-“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” —Mark Twain
Listening to personal development, listening to the birds and water, and walking is such a great way for me to prep for the day as a mom!
Sometimes it can be so hard as mom to work on ourselves or to do something for mom! Either the kids take so much of our time and energy or we can easily feel selfish and like a bad mom if we do something for ourselves.
However I have found that it is okay to be a bit selfish and TAKE CARE OF YOU!! When I take the time each day to take care of me and also to prepare myself mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically each morning before the kids wake up– that is what helps me to be a better mom!!!
Having a hard time finding joy and purpose in your life or a reason to want to get up?! Start your day – every day- with personal development and a workout! It will completely change your life!!!