Spice up your next family taco night with these skinny burrito bowls. The recipe is high in protein and is loaded with fresh veggies and Mexican flavor! Ditching the traditional tortilla means you’re not adding unnecessary carbs into your diet either.
Recipe adapted from here
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey (or you can use diced or shredded chicken)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (Uncle Ben’s Instant Brown Rice was used)
- 11/4 cup chicken broth, low-sodium and fat-free
- 2 cups salsa, no sugar added
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (recipe for taco seasoning) or you can use Mrs. Dash’s Southwest Chipotle Seasoning (season to taste)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- 1/4 cup fresh chives or green onions
- Avocado slices
Over medium heat, in a skillet, cook the onion and ground turkey. The turkey should be cooked until it’s no longer pink. Drain off any fat.
**If using chicken, cook the chicken (grill, bake, or boil) until done. Chop or shred chicken and set aside. In a skillet over medium heat, saute chopped onions in a small amount of Olive Oil. Stir onions to keep from sticking and burning. Cook until onions are transparent. Then, add in chicken and mix well.
Add the broth, rice, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, corn, and the beans. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper. If it starts to dry up, just add a little more broth. Turn off the burner.
Mix in the cheese. It will melt with the heat.
Serve in individual bowls and garnish with the remaining tomatoes, salsa, chives, and avocado slices. Add lettuce if desired.
NOTE: If using long grain brown rice, it will need to be cooked in advance. Uncle Ben’s 10 minute brown rice was used in this recipe.