During these hot, busy summer months, let your crock pot keep your kitchen cool and do all the work for your meals.
I love throwing chicken in the crock pot real fast so I have healthy protein options ready to go– to throw with a fruit or veggie, toss on a salad, or in a taco or pita.
If I don’t have quick options I typically go for things I shouldn’t eat… especially with this preggo tummy. When I need food it has to be pretty immediate! But I am determined to finish the week out great and now I am prepared so I can!
I loved this slow cooker chicken fajita recipe and it even can be made ahead time and frozen. These types of meals are PERFECT for busy summer days or save it for days when you’re asking yourself the “what’s for dinner?” question. Being prepared with healthy meals made with clean ingredients will make it easier to pass up the drive-thru when you don’t know what to make for dinner.
For the make ahead freezer meal: take a gallon freezer bag and write the cooking instructions on the bag with a black Sharpie. This is way easier than trying to write them after the bag is filled!
Write on Bag: Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours. Remove chicken when done cooking & shred, return to crock pot. Serve on whole wheat tortilla shells or bed of lettuce.
- 1.5 – 2 lbs. Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 medium – large white onion (or red onion, or mix of both) , sliced vertically
- 1 green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cans (10 oz.) Rotel diced tomatoes, un-drained (I used “Mild”)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- Take the chicken breasts and divide between 2 freezer bags and put them in it.
- Slice the green and red peppers, onion and garlic (dividing between the 2 bags).
- Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained to each bag.
- Finally add your seasonings (1 tsp of each per bag).
- The night before you want to cook them, take the bag out of the freezer and let it defrost in the fridge.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken when done cooking & shred, return to crock pot.
- Serve on tortilla shells or on a bed or lettuce for a fajita salad
Each freezer bag should feed a family of 4
Don’t forget to check out the HEALTHY RECIPES tab at the top of the blog for other 21 Day Fix Approved recipes!